We are on the hunt for an intern for the Philadelphia Sculpture Gym...Interested? Here's what you need to know:
An internship at the Philadelphia Sculpture Gym means you'll help us with all aspects of starting up a business (more specifically, a business that is like if a gym, a wood shop, a metal shop and a foundry had a baby. Yup...its like that.) More specifically, the intern will be assisting with computer related things, such as emails, social media and paperwork, assisting with fund-raising, hunting down equipment/tools and similar things, taking occasional trips to weird old warehouses and other exciting places like Fazzio's (You've never been? Stop everything and go right now!)
If (ahem, I mean when) we secure a location, we will also need assistance moving things in and setting up the new space. Basically, you'll get a ton of random experience in all of the above categories and the chance to meet and work with sculptors in the area.
What you'll need:
- Some computer skills (ie familiarity with using Twitter and Facebook, blogging, emailing, etc.)
- Transportation to the Fishtown area of Philadelphia (Easily accessible by car, bike, or Septa)
- Some knowledge of tools (ie you know what a bandsaw/welder/chopsaw/hammer is.) You don't need to know how to operate them (well maybe you should know how to use a hammer.)
- Common sense, a good work ethic, self motivation, a good attitude, willingness to listen, learn and ask questions and flexibility.
For bonus points:
- Someone who makes stuff. (You need not be a sculptor, but a maker of things is a plus)
- Photoshop/video skills.
This is an unpaid position but we will compensate you with one day at the Philadelphia Sculpture Gym (once we open) in return for every day you've worked. Additionally, you may be eligible to earn college credit depending on your college's internship criteria.
We are looking for someone to work 1-3 days per week for 4-6 hours each day. Schedule can vary from week to week but we prefer a fairly regular schedule.
Still interested? Email us at philadelphiasculpturegym[at]gmail.com for more details.
Image from here